Simplicty 3608 – Lessons in Wearing White…
Gosh, it sure has been quiet around here! So sorry about that. To prevent THAT from happening again, I’ve done a whole bunch of photos this weekend for ‘backup’ material should I ever not have time on weekends.
Last weeks (or the week before! Sheesh) preview won’t be what you’re looking at today. Nope. That’s almost done. Just about.
Nope, today you will see the dress I made before that. The reason it took so long to post about? All the mucking around I had to do just to get it wearable! Because it’s WHITE…and I’m silly for making a dress in white – but it’s so great. If you follow my Facebook you’d know some of the drama that went into making this. It deserves being called The Debacle Dress or something similar. First let me tell you a bit about construction etc:
- I altered the bust to make it a bit smaller by taking a V out vertically from the centre (which I’m doing for a lot of patterns now).
- I did the same for the skirt to make the shape more ‘wiggle’ instead of straight.
- The zipper is lapped – using Gertie’s tutorial on Craftsy (from the Bombshell Dress course). I botched it though – not enough seam allowance. Don’t look too closely!
- Shortened the skirt of course.
- Used vintage buttons, the same as from my Dorothy outfit (more on these later!)
- Added rayon seam binding to stabilise the waist and also for the hems.
- The seams are zig-zagged to prevent fraying. I like this method as it’s relatively quick and effective for bulkier fabrics.
- There are three bound buttonholes which I did quite neatly so I’m proud of them. I made them the same as instructed in the pattern.
- The fabric is a white cotton drill picked up from Savers a long time ago.
Now why is it called The Debacle Dress? Okay here goes…..First, the texta (designed for fabric) I used to trace my pattern markings STAINED!! Really quite stubbornly too! I’ve never struggled with such stains either….They took numerous soaks and washes and finally (mostly) came out using a product I found at Coles. I think I did accidentally set the marks by ironing over them BUT, consider this…The pen is designed for marking on fabric….it should be washable and come out easily, and should you make a mistake like ironing your fabric, which happens quite a lot when you are sewing, it shouldn’t be so hard to remove. It’s easier to remove oil and other nasty things that can get in fabric. Seriously.
Lesson 1: Don’t use so called “washable fabric marking pens” to make a white dress.
After all this I finally got the dress wearable and showed it off one Friday at work. Workmates all loved it (yay!) and was feeling quite pleased with myself. That night we went out to St Kilda for dinner and drinks because a colleague was leaving. I told the boyfriend I’d be home by midnight – since it was fairly late notice for me and I didn’t have much cash. But of course, this is my workmates we are talking about – known to party hard at the drop of a hat. I didn’t get home til 3:30am!! It wasn’t until the last hour or so that through a series of clumsy flailings (not my flailings for once!), I ended up with my friend’s red wine ALL OVER MY DRESS. Ha! I wasn’t even phased (having recently becoming quite accustomed to being covered in alcohol – don’t ask!)….I trekked it home in the cab looking quite the idiot I’m sure.
Lesson 2: Don’t go out consuming large volumes of alcohol while wearing a white dress.
Next morning – Not to worry I thought, I’d just nuke the dress in Napisan spray and wash it. The wine will come out no problem!
The wine came out alright. Quite nicely actually. But those lovely red vintage buttons??? Not exactly washable are they. Left lovely pink stains in all sorts of places wherever the fabric was folded over them in the washing machine. *sigh* This time I soaked them in the laundry sink, making sure to carefully keep the buttons OUT of the water. I didn’t want to take them off and put them back on again (lazy)….At least the pink came out really easily.
Lesson 3: Don’t assume vintage buttons are colourfast. Check before attaching them to a white dress.
Do you think maybe I should dye this???
ANYWAY – In summary, I really love this pattern – it fits SO well, especially considering I only made adjustments on the tissue-paper. The variations on it are mega cute and I want to use the transfer for the next one and omit the buttons at the shoulders.
Also – do you like my shoes? Scored these and another pair the same but in bright orange for a measly $28 – thanks to a Myer gift voucher I had. Real suede again too. Yay!
Other news: Nothing particularly exciting…Just the usual. I’m using my scooter to get to work most days now! I like riding, even though it means I’ve had to rearrange some wardrobe matters. It’s good in that I take a change of clothes to work so I can wear shoes I never used to wear as much, because they weren’t comfortable enough for long stretches of walking. Also, Melbourne’s streets aren’t really good on heels and they wear down so quickly. I like the freedom of the scooter – I don’t have to wait for trains anymore. I do really want to get rid of the big, shiny L plate on the back of my Vespa ASAP though – It really doesn’t aid my credibility on the road. P’s wont be much better I guess but it should be a slight improvement. I can take my P’s test at the end of March and I plan to do it very soon after that.
That’s about all for now. Next week I can show you the polka-dot dress. Another thing I’m super pleased with!