Ah so I didn’t post last week. And this week I have no new pics to show you – not of new creations. Just a few Instagram and Hipstamatic shots from the last few months. Instagram username is kittysdrawings if you want to follow I’ve been on for a while but only posting regularly there only recently.
Winning you say??
Wellllll Friday was a very lucky day for me! I got an email saying I’d won a $200 Witchery gift voucher thanks to Schweppes for my comment left on Esme & the Laneway’s blog competition I honestly didn’t expect to win since I’ve never been very good at those creative entry type contests – mostly because I’m terrible at those naff little rhymes. But thankfully it seems that wasn’t what was required here and I’m super happy to have won! I will spend the money on some nice accessories and I did take a peek in Witchery the other day and they had some cool rust coloured skinnies. ME in denim?? Yessir – on my scooter! Ha ;-P I did consider the FLURO YELLOW ones – harkening back to my old raving days and also, no one could claim they didn’t see me if I ride past wearing those. BUT, the Mr doesn’t approve and it is pretty mental to be wearing fluro yellow jeans I guess. Heh.
Anyways – accessories and maybe something for the boyfriend and whatever other nice things I find. Yay!
But that wasn’t all that I won! I woke up Saturday morning to another email from We Sew Retro informing me I now had $40 to spend on vintage buttons at Vintage Necessities! Now that might not seem like a huge sum – but $40 will get you a heap of buttons. 40′s vintage buttons at that! *excited* YAY again!
Here are a couple I selected: (Pics are from Vintage Necessities )
Onto other things….
Random shots of SHOES. Oh my god I LOVE THESE SHOES. Got them for a song off eBay. Melissa are apparently re-releasing this style in August. Do I want another pair in a different colour????
I’ve been working on my 1940 trench coat. More WIP pics can be found on Facebook.
The weave is gabardine I think – and the fibre content feels like a blend with some poly in it. Kinda sticks if my iron is up too high and doesn’t like to press that well. It’s not REALLY difficult but enough to be annoying. The rest is cotton I guess? It frays like a b**** as you can see in the photo! I’ve zigzagged all my seams so far and it will be lined too. I don’t currently have any lining for it but I’ve made the pockets out of the same black satin used as the contrast in my Cambie Dress. I might lay out my pieces for the lining and see if I have enough of the black to line the rest of the coat.
Progress on the green coat is slow – my purple silk & rayon lining arrived which looks great. It’s thin though which will require underlining if I want it to have the strength and longevity I expect. Which means another fabric purchase. Coats sure are a lot of work!
I also received a One Lovely Blog award from Purls and Pleats I’m notoriously slack at responding to these things but Marrie took the time to actually email me saying she’d passed it on so I think I should answer. I’m supposed to list 7 things about me. Sounds difficult. Umm…Okay lemme try:
1. I listen to audiobooks while I’m sewing. I “found” a Top 100 Sci-Fi audiobooks and have made my way through Neuromancer, which was excellent…The Mote in God’s Eye which was kinda lame and I didn’t finish it, and now onto To Your Scattered Bodies Go. This piqued my interest because of the curious title and the story is even more interesting. I wont tell you more about it but look it up if sci-fi is your bag. It’s not for everyone but I LOVE it.
2. I watch a LOT of movies. So many that I am now pretty indiscriminate with my choices. I’ll start watching almost anything (romantic comedies are usually on the no-go list because of their painful formulaic boringness!)….finishing is another matter entirely. And I don’t like to read reviews or know much about a flick before watching because I don’t want them to influence my opinion.
3. I almost never eat breakfast at home. Hehe. On weekdays I will have cereal or porridge at work (depending on the season) and on the weekends, we almost always go out. Even if it’s only for a ham and cheese croissant and a coffee. Does that sound decadent to you? It’s not that I don’t enjoy making breakfast, but where we live there is such a wealth of options for eating out it’d be a shame to waste those opportunities. Heh!
4. I’m a crazy cat lady in training. Yep. Not surprised though are you?
5. I do zero exercise – except for a bit of walking here and there (sometimes the 2kms it is to walk into the city from home). I’m not proud of this fact – dedicating the time to be healthy should be important but when I dont get home til 7pm on a good day, the last thing I want to do is lift heavy things. However, I’m seriously considering going back to muay Thai and maybe boxing since my old gym is on the way home from work and it’s the one sport I actually enjoyed. Just need to stop procrastinating…..
6. And while I’m at it…I’m pretty darn good at procrastinating. Not everything gets the Master Procrastination treatment – but things like organising my tax return, calling people, some emails, design work (sorry Mum!!!!) and mending clothes gets put on the back-burner something chronic. Argh!
annnnnd 7. Just to be stupid. Last week I spent $8 on butter. And I don’t regret it one bit. So unbelievably delicious.
On that note, I think I shall leave it. Next week I should have some sewing posts for you. And I won’t tag anyone for this blog award cos – meh ;-P