Woowee am I excited to show you this latest creation!
EVERYTHING is awesome about it ;-P If I do say so myself! Haha.
Pattern: Butterick 3989 – from early to mid 40′s I think. From the amazing Evadress Patterns
Fabric: Awesome tropical print rayon WITH PINEAPPLES from eBay. This isn’t vintage as the selvedge mentions “Hoffman Internation Fabrics 2001″. How COOL is it!? I have another piece which has Plumerias and palm trees on it!
Notions: Just a heap of snaps and thread. Duh.
Cost: About $28 – The pattern was $20, the fabric I got three yards for $6 plus shipping, and snaps are cheapish. Still enough fabric left for a top
Changes Made: Made it knee length – easy! ZERO fit alterations – These patterns fit SO well straight outta the box! Yay!
Finishing: I used selvedge as best as I could, and rayon seam binding on most seams. The curve seam at the front I zigzagged.
Notes: I made a boo-boo with this! I don’t usually make any serious mistakes but here I did. I traced the front draped skirt piece to make a new piece, since I didn’t think I could do my usual trick of folding the pattern piece up to shorten it. It’s a bit of a weird shape and I didn’t want to hack at my pattern. Yes I am naughty and cut straight from precious pieces of paper that are older than my grandma (almost). Though this wasn’t the real reason I made a boo-boo, but it probably helped. See, this dress has quite a few pieces that are only cut once, so it’s important you’re cutting the right side of the fabric. Get where I’m going here? Yep! I cut this piece the wrong way round so I had two left facing skirt sections. Derpalina!
Easily fixed though and the rest of the make was easy….
Until I got to the sleeves…
Yeh this confused me for a bit. I couldn’t figure out how the little tiny sleeve section was to join the cap sleeve, and still be finished on the outside. I decided to just follow the instructions and baste each piece in (instead of taking a shortcut and sewing straight away) – and what do you know? Patience won out and it made sense once I’d basted it all together. It’s a bit of an interesting way to finish a sleeve – and involves less hand sewing than Mccall 6006.
The gathers are so cool, as well as the asymmetrical neckline. These details might have been more visible using a plain fabric but I LOVE prints so much.
Next project and other things – My 1940′s trench coat is cut out. I also found some lining online for my green coat. Silk and rayon blend from Vietnam – the price was very good so I’m hoping it’s nice when I get it. It’s going to be a rich purple colour – a nice contrast to the apple green. *GRIN*
Also went to Brunswick the other day and found some very light white cotton for the underlining of a very special project (hints are on Facebook). Savers was picked clean of anything good – Just got some dark green cotton drill which would be good for a pencil skirt, and buttons to match. Coincidentally I found some Jeffrey Campbell shoes today in the SAME SHADE for $65. Bought. Yep. No more spending til next pay-day so dont let me! Hah.
I’m not usually that keen on the crazy Jeffrey Campbells I see around the parts…I like crazy shoes, but not ones that make your feet look like giant hooves. Errgh. Anyways, you’ll probably see them eventually.
I’m continuing on with hair experiments. This one is a bit blah but the roll is cool. I don’t think my face shape is suited to have two rolls on the top of my head so one will do for now. I’ve purchased some setting lotion and lots of pin-curl clips and currently have my hair setting. Fingers crossed for a nice result tomorrow!
Enough rambling – time to go!